MAY, THE PERFECT MONTH TO VISIT IBIZA
PARADISE OF PARADISES
Ibiza, that well-known earthly paradise, offers a range of attractions recognized all around the globe. For those planning to spend a few days soaking up the sun on our beautiful beaches, a word of advice: don’t forget to apply sunblock before you start relaxing (or romping) on our golden sands, at least until the sun sinks down low in the sky.
With May fast approaching, Ibiza has started to bask in a different atmosphere, thanks to the wonderful weather that graces us almost permanently until the end of the season. Tourists wafting the latest scented sunscreens begin to make an appearance, welcomed with open arms by hotels, restaurants, beach clubs, beaches, discos . . . in fact the whole of Ibiza! May is a particularly good time to plan your visit as there are any number of activities guaranteed to banish boredom and help you savour the island’s unique charms. Our advice is to make the most of these events, found right across Ibiza during this special month:
– May 5, Mother’s Day in Spain, celebrated on the first Sunday in May. The first celebrations of Mother’s Day date back to ancient Greece, honouring Rhea, the mother of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. This ancient Mediterranean tradition provides the perfect opportunity to thank our mothers for the gift of life. So why not do so in Ibiza?
– The 20th annual celebration of Ibiza’s popular Medieval Fair takes place between 9 and 12 May. Minstrels, street sellers, troubadours and performers stroll through the winding alleys of the old town (Dalt Vila). This is a unique opportunity to explore the island’s fascinating history, taste its traditional dishes and discover its fascinating customs.
– During this second weekend of May the festivities of the Medieval Fair commemorate the declaration of our four UNESCO World Heritage Sites: the oceanic Posidonia (seagrass) meadows in our coastal waters, the Phoenician site of Sa Caleta, the ancient necropolis of Puig des Molins and the old walled town of Dalt Vila.
– The 48th anniversary of the Adlib fashion show will take place 2-5 May. Adlib is the fashion label inspired by Ibiza’s traditional costume, with handmade cotton fabrics decorated with embroidery and lace, white taking centre stage and revealing the essence of the White Island.
– The opening parties of some of Europe’s finest clubs (i.e. on Ibiza) kick off, among which the following are worth a mention:
- Ushuaïa Ibiza Opening Party takes place on May 18, and will continue at the Hi Ibiza nightclub. Odyssey Grand Opening brings you 24 hours of partying.
- The iconic Cocoon party created by Sven Väth returns to Amnesia this summer (2019) for its 20th anniversary on Monday nights every second week, starting May 27.
- We already have the date for Circoloco and DC10’s Ibiza Opening Party 2019, a great party that awaits you on Monday, May 20.
– The stallholders of our most famous Hippie markets, Las Dalias and Punta Arabí, are putting on their finery to welcome the many visitors who flock there looking for that very special souvenir.
May is also the perfect month to benefit from the advantages of staying at Migjorn Ibiza Suites & Spa in the very heart of Playa den Bossa. By booking directly with us, your reservation will include the SPA, a 20% discount on massages and treatments, 2 bottles of free welcome water, a free cocktail in the Pool Bar, Late Check out until 1 pm free, and best room available. A whole range of advantages to make your stay on the island a magical and incredible experience. We’re waiting for you! www.migjornibiza.com
PHOTOS BY www.aishabonet.com